Friday, October 5

How do you handle it?

Sometimes I find myself in trouble over the weekends. Trouble of getting into old eating habits, like eating out, or grabbing food from somewhere, especially when we visit family. It has become such an accustom with them, that it's almost second nature. When we visit, they feel like because they haven't seen us in so long, that they should 'treat us' to eating out, or grabbing food from someplace. For us, we are fine going to the grocery, cooking something, and eating at the house. But, because my family feels as though they 'need to' treat us, it's almost impossible to say no, for fear of hurting feelings. So, when this happens, and we end up at a restaurant, or eating fast food of some sort, I always find myself trying to find the healthiest option on the menu.

 I can honestly say that this is something that I am proud of, because I NEVER used to care about nutrition, or health. We are all human, we all have days when we have no time to cook, and grabbing food is what fits into the day. We all do it, we just don't like to admit it. I'm not perfect, and never claimed to be. I fall into the category of having to stop somewhere for food, because it's fast and easy. But, instead of fries, I opt for either no side, or fruit. Instead of a combo meal, I simply get a sandwich, and have water. I have learned that even in times of needing what's fast and easy, you shouldn't compromise your health. And, yes I know that even with going through a drive thru, of someplace is not considered 'healthy', I am in a way compromising my health, I'm at least doing it the healthiest way I can, by opting for other, more nutritious options. 

So, what I'm curious to know is, how many of you find yourselves in this position, be it with family, dealing with needing what 'fits' into the day, or simply because the weekend is upon us? How do you handle it? 

1 comment:

AJ said...

I've adopted the practice of eating as well as I can while I'm at home and not worrying about when I'm away from home.The majority of my meals are at home. When those special occasions come I still try to eat as healthily as I can, but I don't beat myself up when I can't eat as well as I'd like. When I'm in control I can choose places to eat where I know I have a better chance. When we are visiting family I can't dictate what they should serve me so I do the best I can, and just enjoy. I'll get back on track when I'm home again.